Saturday, August 22, 2009

Time, Inc. Moves Into Historic Detroit Home For One Year

Many housing markets are hurting now, but probably none as bad as Detroit. Look at this gorgeous old home that Time, Inc. just purchased in the West Village in Detroit for only $99,000. In 2007, it sold for $252,500:





So, just what does $99,000 buy you in Detroit? How about 3,400 square feet! This home is located in the West Village, near Indian Village and Jefferson. Built almost 100 years ago, it has a new kitchen with stainless appliances and a master suite with a new bathroom! Wow!



Here are more homes for sale in West Village.




Writers from Time, Inc. will live in this home, at 1087 Parker, for one year, chronicling (another) rebirth of Detroit. After the year is up, they will donate the home.



I am pretty excited about this project, since I was born and raised in Detroit and have been awaiting her comeback for nearly all of my life. And of course, I'd love to see how they are going to decorate it ;)



You can see videos of the inside of the home and the neighborhood, too at MLive.com.



Welcome to Detroit, Time, Inc. Writers. I will be watching and reading all of your work. In fact, I am going to subscribe to Time Magazine right now.



ttfn,




PS: Here is where my house in Detroit used to stand. It's just an empty lot now, like much of Detroit...

5 comments:

L said...

wow , that is a serious drop in price, makes me sad we would love to sell our house and move, but we would never get what we want for it, so we sit and wait and pray to be able to move in a few years...sigh...., L

Whimsical Creations said...

WOW, I agree with L...that is one serious price drop!!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Bella - that is unreal!! WOW! Our new music pastor just moved from CA to NC. There house dropped from $410,000 to $250,000...they obviously can't sell with that much of a loss but found renters to cover only half the mortgage every month. Whew.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

It is terrible...my house is for sale for $200,000+ less than it would have sold for a couple of years ago. Blech. And sad thing is, I still can't sell it! If we didn't have to move for a new job, we would have waited it out and hoped for better times to sell.

It is tough!

chacha said...

Those are beautiful and crazy affordable houses. The only way is up - it'll turn around. I would snatch a house like that for $100K in a heartbeat - even as investment. Well, if the husband wasn't still unemployed I would :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails