Monday, January 5, 2009

I Love HGTV's Designed to Sell

My favorite TV Couple is Lisa LaPorta and Clive Pearse of HGTV's Designed to Sell, it's also one of my favorite TV shows, too. So many good tips and all on a budget, what's not to love?









Actually, I have to admit my favorite part of the show comes right in the beginning when the "Real Estate Critic" comes in and picks the whole place apart...everything they say is so true and it's pretty entertaining to watch, especially since it is not MY HOUSE that they are critiquing!


Donna Freeman, is hand's down my favorite critic on Designed to Sell, go, Donna!!!





Some of the things I have learned from watching Designed to Sell are:

  • White walls are never a good thing, ever



  • Taupe is the new neutral color



  • Painting kitchen cupboards & slapping some granite on those counters can add so much value to your home (and your bottom line)



  • Demolition is fun



  • Labor is apparently free



That last one always makes me laugh. They do the recap of what they spent on the home's projects and labor is never part of the equation. I guess if I want to do these remodeling projects in my home, I will just be able to find young, attractive carpenters walking down my street, who will more than happy to come into my home and complete my 'Honey Do List' for free, and with a smile, too! That's OK, though, I still love this show and learn a lot from it, so I will let them slide on their fuzzy math.

Don't you just wish they would show up at your house and transform it in a week for you? Yeah, me, too! It's funny how your wild and crazy fantasies evolve over the years! I've gone from:



Scott Baio...





to John Stamos...




to HGTV???

Which reminds me, I need to enter to win that gorgeous HGTV Dream Home 2009 again! It's mine, mine, all mine!!! ;)


ttfn,


PS: Don't forget about the Blog Party on Wednesday at Southern Hospitality. And on Friday, Hooked on Houses will have a Hooked on Fridays blog party!

16 comments:

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Haa hee! Your evolving fantasies cracked me up!

Wanda said...

I also love Designed to Sell. Lisa does some amazing things for that little bit of money. I also like Divine Design with Candace Olsen. Her work is definitely not $2000 and there is absolutely no mention of budget or time on her show.

Rachael said...

Eeks...I had forgotten I could enter the "Dream Home" contest daily through February! I am off to submit my daily entry!

That "Dream Home 2009" in Sonoma, CA is probably my favorite of the last couple of years. It may have something to do with the fact that Sonoma, California is part of the "Wine Country" ....I keep thinking of all the wonderful wineries I could visit if I lived there :-)

Thanks for the reminder!!

stalkermom said...

I agree, Lisa LaPorta always has great ideas. And I agree about Candace Olsen, her work is fabulouse, but they NEVER mention how much they spend!

Heather said...

If you happen to find the hottie carpenters who do work for free, please send them my way!

Tootsie said...

when you find free help...send them here! lol

Janene said...

Hello Bella! My name is Janene and I stole your blog from Dot at Pickets place.
I love HGTV! I too watch "Designed to Sell" and "House Hunters" is a favorite of mine too.
What would I do without my HGTV!?
That is so funny that you mentioned Scott Baio and John Stamos, They are also my favorite...I remember John from when I used to watch "General Hospital"...he was Blackie Parish.
Ahh, memories!
I am adding you to my favorites so that I can read more...stop on over to visit me anytime!

Shelia said...

Hi Bella! I love your post today. I love that show too and always wondered how in the world they could do what they do and it not cost so much. Well, honey, I want that Carter Osterhouse to come and be my carpenter guy!! He's so cute!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

tardevil said...

I could have written your exact post b/c I would have said all the things you said (especially a/b hearting John Stamos!). And if you find those hunky "free laborers", please send them to my house b/c I have some ugly white walls the builder left for me that I can't seem to get painted fast enough!

Sincerely Yours said...

Hi Bella! I know what you mean about the "fuzzy math"! I'd like to see the actual receipts too! Speaking of remodel costs the Rate my Space show although I like it who can afford $15-25,000 for a room redo! I can do my whole house plus some for that!!!lol Have a fun day - Sincerely, Jeannette

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Yep, that's a good show, fun to watch how they changes those houses & you're right about the budgets. Labor is totally left out, but it is fun to hear what they hate at the beginning. They are a little harsh sometimes (harsh but truthful).

Robin @ My Blessed Nest said...

Designed to Sell is my favorite, too! Isn't Lisa talented...and so adorable?! I don't really care for the new designers...too modern for my taste, but I will even watch them. Something about befores and afters is so intriguing to me. You are so right about their expenses, though. Labor costs are outrageous!

Thank you for joining my facebook network...and thanks again for telling me how to set it up! I enjoy your blog so much!

Erin said...

I love this show too! It is so fun to see the houses transformed.

Beth @ Blue Socks said...

Hmmmmm, where can I find some of those handsome young carpenters wanting to work for free?

Terri and Bob said...

I love this show, to and you picked my favorites as well. I noticed they don't charge for labor but I just guessed it was "donated" for the show. Sort of a payment for letting them bash your house!

I have white walls in my kitchen.... me bad.

Beth said...

I left an award for you on my blog. Check it out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails