Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lentil Spinach Stew Soup Recipe

Lentil Spinach stew is a delicious meatless meal to make. I usually serve it with cornbread.

Guess what's for dinner tonight? ;)


Yields: Approx. 7 (1 cup) servings Points per serving: 1


This stew is hearty, healthy, flavorful, and easy to make. There's nothing better than a 1-point meal that fills you up!!


Ingredients:


2 garlic cloves minced
1 med onion (about 1/2 cup), chopped
1 Tb oil
1 cup dry lentils
4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water + 4 tsp or cubes of chicken bouillon)
10 oz frozen spinach
7.5 oz can chopped/diced tomatoes (I like to use Hunt's canned tomatoes with roasted garlic, yummy!)
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 Tb. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tb. balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 medium carrots, chopped (about 1 cup) (I like to use the pre-shredded carrots, I'm lazy that way!)



Directions:



Mince garlic cloves and chop onion. Heat oil in large saucepan or dutch oven. Heat onion and garlic in oil until soft but not brown. Add dry lentils, broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf, and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.



Add frozen spinach and carrots. Bring to a boil again. Break apart frozen spinach with a fork as needed. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer another 10-15 minutes until lentils and carrots are tender. Remove bay leaf. (Please note: It's hard to find the bay leaf once the spinach is in!! So you *may* want to remove it before you put the spinach in!) Stir in vinegar.



Serve hot!



Yields Approx. 7 (1-cup) servings


Nutritional Info: 100 calories, 2 g. fat, 7 g. fiber (1 point per 1-cup serving)



Source: Better Homes and Gardens Vegetarian Cookbook, 1993

17 comments:

Nikki said...

This sounds really good. I'm been making a lot of soup lately.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Bella, that sounds good! I've been wanting to try more lentil recipes. I'll copy it. Merry Christmas!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Bella, I've just joined Twitter & trying to get the hang of it. I'm now following you. Can't figure out how to send messages back & forth to people. AND how do you get the Twitter logo on your blog where folks can click & go to your Twitter page. I added Twitter to my blog, but it shows all my posts & I only want the logo (preferably the bird) to show & then they can click over from there. Any tips?? Help! Thanks a lot. I tried to find answers on the site & couldn't see anything.

squawmama said...

Wow Bella, this sounds really good... and kinda healthy which I could use right about now... I will be giving this one a try... Thanks

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Chris said...

I'll give this one a try too. I like meatless dishes. thanks for posting it.

Hugs,
chris

Bo said...

Hiya Bella...Yummy-ee! I wish I had a pot of this right now for our dinner hour with cornbread, of course! ;-) Bo

Diane@A Picture is Worth.... said...

Hi Bella,
Your recipe looks great! Thanks for sharing. I would love to try it!

Diane

Tootsie said...

that looks sooooo good!

Half of the Style Sisters said...

Bella that sound fabulous. I am always looking for great stew/soup recipes that are meatless. Thanks for the recipe.

Duni said...

That looks yummy!
I usually serve up a vegetarian meal once a week.

Terri and Bob said...

Mmmmm looks like one to try!

Ramona said...

Good Morning Bella ~ Good Golly...that looks delish! I love soup and this one looks yummy and healthy...thank you for sharing. We are expecting snow...right here in the ol' Northwest and this recipe might just be perfect for the weekend.

Hope that you are having a wonderful holiday.

Smiles ~ Ramona

Ann said...

Yum! LOVE lentil soup and spinach sounds like a perfect addition. But I wouldn't use any bullion cubes or other fake stuff. Why not make sure "yummy" and "truly healthy" are both in the dish? :)
Bone broth is the backbone of my kitchen and I feel really, really good about adding so much nutrition to my family meals by simply having that broth to use for most of my cooking. I use Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions cookbook for my basic recipes for broth. And look for ways to make it even faster and easier.
Main thing is to simmer the chicken bones for 12 to 24 hrs to release all those great nutrients.
Looking forward to trying this recipe!

Maureen said...

Sounds good I'm making it tonight. I have a great lentil stew recipe but it has ham in it so more fat, sodium, calories and probably things I don't even want to think of. I have to skim off the foam at some point in that recipe so I was looking for that step here. That is the only recipe I have ever cooked lentils so I am so aware of the foam.

Bella Casa said...

Hi Maureen,

I tried to contact you via Blogspot, but it said there was no such user...weird, lol.

Anyhow, I have never had a 'foam issue' with this soup and have been making it for years.

I am sure if Alton Brown would read the recipe and yours, he could probably tell us why! lol ;)

Let me know how you like this one. Would love the recipe for your ham one :)

Bella

Maureen said...

I am not on Blogger / Blogspot. Google recognized me as Maureen but I guess I did not sign in I am this time I think so you should be able to track me down. I have a WordPress blog.

Making it now. Not too much foam. When does the Worcestershire sauce go in? I put it in with all the spices.

Lets see if I signed in right this time!!!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Um...yum!! I'm a veg and I love, LOVE lentils. I'd love to give this a whirl with vegetable broth.

Related Posts with Thumbnails