Thursday, December 18, 2008

Cabbage Soup Recipe (Just like Big Boy Restaurant)

I discovered Cabbage Soup when I was a teen and used to actually make it myself for my family. Here's a recipe I have been using for a couple of years now and it's sooo good!!! It's modeled after Big Boy Restaurant's recipe, if you know about them...they are known for their delicious soups (and their Big Boy double deckers, Slim Jim sandwiches, Hot Fudge Brownie Cakes...but I digress...) back to the healthy dish....Cabbage Soup! Enjoy!



Photo Courtesy: FoodTV.ca



Cabbage Soup like Big Boy's Restaurant


1 (12-ounce) can V-8 juice
4 ribs celery, diced
2 cans (14 ounces each) sliced stewed tomatoes
2 cans (14 ounces each) clear beef broth
1 broth can water
1 smoked pork hock (3/4 pound) or ham steak in bite-size pieces
1 onion, about the size of a lemon, diced
1/4 of a 2 1/2-pound head cabbage, diced and cored and outer leaves discarded
1 cup of shredded carrots
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 teaspoon dry minced parsley
Generous dash pepper



Add all ingredients to a 6-quart kettle as listed.




Bring to boil.




Cover and reduce to gentle simmer — simmering two hours or until cabbage is tender.




Serves 6.


I usually buy the six pack of V-8 Juice and use 2 of those cans. Today I am making this with the Hot & Spicy juice, can't wait to try it! Also, the Ham Hock is optional, I have made this with and without it and the soup is delicious either way.


If anyone has a great recipe for Minestrone Soup, I would love to have it, thanks!


Getting ready to be snowed in tomorrow...there goes the last day of school for Robert and his Pre-K Christmas Party!


Stay warm,

Bella

24 comments:

Chris said...

Bella this sounds so good and I love soups.So, I'll be copying this into my Blog Recipe folder. Thank you.

Hugs,
Chris

Cassie said...

This looks good! I love cabbage soup!

Jen r. said...

Looks yummy!

Jan and Tom said...

Thanks for dropping in - the Maumee Mall is where we bought last Saturday's items...including the Hobnail Bedspread.

This soup sounds delicious.

I have my Aunt's Mother's Recipe for Minnestrone (she was a little old Italian lady)

(As with all Italian cooking, substitutions ARE allowed!)

Grandma's Minnestrone

1/2# salt pork, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 potato, chopped
2t salt
1/4t pepper
1/2 c brown rice
1/2 t thyme
1/2t marjoram
1c frozen peas
1 1/2qts beef broth
1c string beans, chopped
1c cabbage, shredded
3 tomatoes, peeled an diced
1 clove garlic, minced Parmesan cheese, to sprinkle on top Brown pork lightly. Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Sprinkle with cheese to serve. Makes 8-1/2 cups servings

(I love this and I think I'm gonna have to make it again, real soon)

Enjoy...
Jan

Rue said...

Hi Bella :)

I have never had soup at Big Boy because I have to eat the burger and fries with a chocolate shake LOL I would love to try this at home though ;)

Have a very Merry Christmas!
rue

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Bella; Your Cabbage Soup sounds really yummy, I have not had Cabbage Soup before, I have had cooked cabbage with ham and potatoes but not soup, I am going to have to make it. We are getting ready for being Snowed in too, hubby bought some more wood just in case... Merry Christmas

Hugs;
Alaura

salmagundi said...

Sounds good - I would like to try it in the crock-pot. It should work!! We're expecting more bad weather in Colorado, also. Time to hunker down with soup. Sally

Lori said...

Big Boy's...man, I haven't heard that name in FOREVER!

The soup looks yummy!

HeathahLee said...

I do remember Big Boy but that was when he was afilliated with Shoney's. When did that change? I realized when I was reading this that they don't do Big Boy at the Shoney's where my mom lives, and the ones here where I live have been closed for years. I did love me some Slim Jim sandwiches!

squawmama said...

YUMO Bella... This is one of my husband’s favorite soups... I will try this recipe out... Sounds really good and I think I would like it spicy too... Have you tried Proud Italian Cook Blog??? I bet she has a killer Minestrone... I think I saw one there not too long ago... Have a great day...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Diane@A Picture is Worth.... said...

Hi Bella,
Sounds like a great recipe. I love cabbage!

Nessa said...

This sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Terri and Bob said...

Totally love this recipe and plan to make it over winter break (I work for a school). I have a wonderful pasta figoli recipe, if you are interested!

Lori said...

My hubby loves Big Boy's cabbage soup! I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks!

Julia said...

I so love soup in the winter. I will try this one since I am kind of stuck in a rut with chicken vegetable/noodle/potato mixtures. Thanks.

Kitty Scraps said...

Hi Bella,
I've not eaten in a Bob's Big Boy Restaurant since I was a teenager! I loved their burgers - yum! Thanks for sharing the soup recipe, it sounds so good, perfect for a cold day! Wishing you a wonderfully blessed Christmas!

Dorothy said...

Bella this brings back wonderful memories of my mom who made a soup very similar to this. I'll try it and this is my first visit to your site it's great..I'll be back.. Thanks fro stopping by mine..

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

BeadedTail said...

Sounds yummy! Perfect for these cold winter days!

Jennifer said...

Bella,

This sounds so good. I've been battling a cold and this is the first thing that sounds good to me.

Thanks again!!!

JT Locke
The Frugal Housewife

Joanna said...

Aw I miss Big Boy! Beautiful website!

rmgales said...

This sounds wonderful. I'm going to try this in the crockpot.

Pink Pig said...

Hello Bella....I thought i was the only one that liked Cabbage Soup!..I must try your recipe. Being half Russian & Italian I had both parents that loved to cook. I will send over my dad's recipe for Minestrone to you soon.

Margaret said...

Does this ever sound YUMMY! I love cabbage in just about every form there is from raw to cooked, so this will be added to my cabbage recipes for sure! Thank you so much for sharing it!

I like the idea of the spicy V-8 juice! Very warming for cold weather! We do a lot of spicy foods during the winter months.

ê¿ê

The Feathered Nest said...

Yummmmm...this soup looks just wonderful! I think I'm going to have to give it a try ~ thanks so much for sharing it!! Wishing you a wonderful New Year ~ xxoo, Dawn

Related Posts with Thumbnails