Friday, October 24, 2008

Where In The Hell Is This House Tour?





Today's home tour will be in all places, Hell, Michigan...gotta love their motto:

Hell, Michigan, a little town on its way up!

Hell, Michigan is actually an unincorporated community in
Putnam Township, MI, with a population of 266. It's about 15 miles northwest of Ann Arbor, MI.

I've been there a few times, it is about a half hour's drive from my home. My first impression of Hell was, "Wow, it's GORGEOUS here!" It has rolling hills, trees and horse farms. I was pretty perplexed at how it got such a negative name.



So, how did Hell get its name? From Wikipedia:




"There are two leading theories cited by residents for the origin of Hell's name:


The first holds that a pair of German travelers stepped out of a stagecoach one sunny afternoon in the 1830s, and one said to the other, "So schön und hell!" - translated as, "So beautiful and bright!" Their comments were overheard by some locals and the name stuck.
[1]


The second holds that after Michigan gained statehood, George Reeves was asked what he thought the town he helped settle should be called, and replied, "I don't care, you can name it Hell for all I care." The name became official on October 13, 1841.[2]


A third possibility is that the town was named after Hell, Norway."

Hell's most famous landmarks are Hell's Country Store , where you can purchase hot sauce, T-shirts and probably best of all, a postcard to mail to your friends, postmarked from, "Hell."







Then there's Scream's Ice Cream, where Erik Reichenbach from, "Survivor" worked. You can enjoy an ice cream cone while you peruse their shop, which looks like a Hallmark Halloween store, all year round...kids (of all ages) just love this place!













And don't forget the Dam Site Inn restaurant on Hell Creek. And heck (hell?), you can even get married in Hell! Where? In Hell's Wedding Chapel of course!


Oh and the burning question you all have...does Hell ever freeze over?

Um, hello, this is Michigan, so what do you think? ;)


Now, on with the house tour...
I bet you thought the house would look kind of like this:









Sorry to disappoint, How about this instead? * It's the most expensive home for sale, at $2,100,000!


I think this one is the best deal around at $199,900!*






Or how about a horse ranch?* OK, the horse ranch it is!








Here is the description, from the selling agent, Michelle Vedder from Real Estate One:

"HORSE LOVERS PARADISE. HUGE BARN W/ 16 STALLS, HAYLOFT, TWO TACK ROOMS, BIRTHING STALLS,TWO WATER HYDRANTS. APPROX 6.5 ACRES OF PASTURE/PADDOCK AREA. HOUSE IS VERY OPEN WITH HARDWOOD FLOORS, CHERRY CABINETS, JENNAIR DOUBLE OVEN, COOKTOP & FRIG. HUGE MASTER WITH WALK IN SHOWER W/ DOUBLE HEADS. FANTASTIC VIEW OF 15TH HOLE AT TIMBER TRACE GOLF COURSE. BIGGER THAN LOOKS, OWNER IS AGENT."


Open floor plan, gorgeous floors, lots of lighting...

Beautiful hearth on this fireplace!
I told you it was pretty here!


I mean, really, look at that sunset...looks heavenly to me! What's in a name? Perhaps just letters...







Want to see more home tours? Visit Julia at Hooked On Houses to view more incredible home tours!






ttfn,

Bella

PS: Have you entered to win this sweet wedding frame yet?


* These homes are in Putnam Township, MI, however, I am not sure if they are in Hell, MI or not...since Hell is not really on the map and no listings on realtor.com list the city as "Hell". Sort of like the missing 13th floors in many sky scrapers. But frankly, I wouldn't mind living there, like I said, it's a gorgeous place, no matter what the hell they call it ;)

60 comments:

Southern Lady said...

Bella, I enjoyed your tour of Hell. It sounds like a nice little town and, hopefully, doesn't live up to its name ...lol

Sincerely,

Janie

Jan and Tom's Place said...

LOL!!! Great tour. I heard all about Hell, MI the first time I talked to Tom...when I lived in Wisconsin and he lived here in Michigan!! It was just something he shared in our conversation!!

Jennifer said...

I have driven by Hell before. Didn't it used to have an X-rated drive-in that could be seen from the highway or was that somewhere else? I don't remember, getting old I guess. Of course this was the favorite place to talk about in MS 'cause we all thought we were so cool using the word Hell. Kinda like reading ass in the King James bible just so we could use the word.
Smiles!

Bella Casa said...

Hi Jennifer!

Hell is not along a freeway, so it couldn't have been there:) It's tucked in between hills, lakes and horse farms...so pretty! Strange name for it, lol ;)

Thanks for visiting my blog, have a great weekend!

Bella

Mountain Woman said...

I loved the pictures from Hell. It would be so much fun to visit and have my mail postmarked from there.
There's some huge, expensive houses out in that area.
Thanks for sharing the photos.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, my gosh, Bella, this cracked me up! What a fun post--and perfect for this time of year, a week before Halloween.

I loved learning all about Hell. Can you imagine telling people you got married there? Or, worse, being buried there? ("Grandpa's in Hell." Oh, dear.) Even though I don't live that far from Michigan, this is the first I'm hearing of the town.

Thanks for joining the blog party. You win big points for creativity! :-)

Lisa B. said...

What a fun post! I haven't been to Hell in ages...I didn't know they had a wedding chapel! Too funny :D

Connie said...

Who knew there were horse ranches in Hell?

Thanks for the tour of Hell!

Chris said...

Thanks for the tour. Now I can say I've been to hell and back. LOL

Hugs,
Chris

Marie said...

Bella, you are a HOOT! I love this post. I may visit Hell when I am in Michigan next month... I can't believe I haven't been already! GREAT tour!!

Amy from Texas said...

That is hilarious. Great post! I didn't know you could really go to Hell:-)

springtreeroad said...

that settles it - i want to move to hell!

great post. :)

squawmama said...

Bella thasnks for taking me to HELL today... I enjoyed the trip..very nice... I have been to HELL before but it was locatesd in the Grand Caymen Islands so I guess it has moved up a little... LOL LOL

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Blanca said...

This is to funny. I love Chris'comment about having been to hell and back.

Kim's Treasures said...

What a great tour of Hell! Our state is so pretty! We haven't been there but it would be fun to stop by.

Have a great day!
Kim

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Fun tour, Bella! I do remember that name from long ago. DOn't think we have a Hell down this way, LOL.

salmagundi said...

Interesting township!! Thank goodness it does NOT live up to its name. It's really quite charming. Thanks for taking up there!! Sally

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I had never heard of Hell (Michigan) so that was fun and interesting, especially the freezing over part! And I can't believe the housing prices! Maybe I should move there!
Carrie

Bo said...

Oh yeah, this would be a fun way to tell someone to go to HELL and mean it...you made a womderful story out of this post! ;-) Bo

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Very cute! A nice place to visit....

Darlene said...

Hi Bella,

What a great tour of Hell!!! Beautiful homes....you know I think I could live in Hell!! What a great post!

Lisa @ Take90West said...

Thanks for the fun information! I would definatley take that horse farm in Hell!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

This is too great, Bella! I love the humor of this town. Here we thought we were set cracking "Czech/check" jokes about my husband's culture. Thanks for the great tour! I'm sending it on to some American friends here in Germany--they'll love the play on the German word "hell".
Katie

completely-coastal.com said...

What a great story how it got or might have gotten its name, love the German version, too bad it's name didn't become Bright..., or at least Hello!

completely-coastal.com said...

Me again (Maya), wanted to stumble your site/tour of Hell but the button didn't work, just wanted to let you know...
Cheers!

tidymom said...

Too funny!! I've never heard of that town, but what a fun tour!!
I have heard of Intercourse Indiana!
Where do they come up with some of these names? LOL

Thanks for the tour!

~Tidymom

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

What a funny little town name. Wonderful tour too. I have a girlfriend from Michigan - I'm going to have to ask her about this town.

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

What a funny little town name. Wonderful tour too. I have a girlfriend from Michigan - I'm going to have to ask her about this town.

Shelley Jo said...

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. I love your background. And your post on Hell was enlightening. I didn't know such a place existed! On earth, that is!! I, too, like Chris' comment about being to hell and back. HA!

Erin said...

That is so funny. What a name! I had to laugh at your post title. That is a beautiful place. Doesn't fit the name at all! Thank you for the tour. I have never been to that part of the country, so it was fun seeing something new!

Ms. Tee said...

Hey Bella :)
I've never heard of this place, but you gave it a great tour! The iced over sign was my fave.
Have a great weekend!

Meghan said...

WoW!

abeachcottage said...

I can't believe it's truly called Hell, anyway it looks lovely

I'd love to visit!

thanks for the tour

Sarah

Rue said...

LOL Bella! That was too funny :)

I've actually heard of this place before, but I didn't know it was so beautiful. Of course Rich would say "Of course Hell is in Michigan!" being all about OSU ;)

Great tour of the ranch :)

Oh and thank you for the paint color tip!!

hugs,
rue

Joy said...

I really like that two story a lot but I lived in one and I am glad to have a ranch now..no more climbing up and down stairs all day.

southerninspiration said...

Oh, I didn't realize hell was so pretty! I didn't see much fire in that tour!! haha.
Suzanne

imjacobsmom said...

What a cute and creative post! I love Blanca's comment. The homes and acreages are beautiful and the prices are very reasonable. Have a nice weekend. ~ Robyn

The Summer Kitchen Interiors said...

Funny post Bella! A couple years ago we visited Hell...in the Caymen Islands! We stopped there quick on a tour to use the restrooms - we quickly let everyone know that the restrooms in Hell were clean!
HA!
Have a great weekend!
Karla & Karrie

AJ said...

Too funny:)

Strawberry Blonde said...

Can I just say that I think it's hilarious that the wedding chapel has a question mark over the top?? Cracks.Me.Up. :)

How weird would it be to say to a friend, "See you in Hell." Anywho, thanks for the tour!!

-- Brandi

Hannah Noel said...

Haha!!!!! Nice!!

Creations from my heart said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was just out your way last Sat. at the Antique and Flee market show in Ann Arbor. I didn't know that you lived near. We could have met each other there. My son is going to Uof M tomorrow to the Mich vs. State game! Blessings...Sherry

nikkicrumpet said...

I lived in hell for 7 years...then I got divorced and thing were much better hehehe. Have a great day!

Shelia said...

Oh, Bella! That was fun. I've never heard of Hell before, well not like this! lol Looks like a sweet place, though!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Nessa said...

Very nice tour of Hell. Thanks for sharing!

I've given you a blog award, drop by my blog to check it out.

sandra/tx said...

Funny! I was going to say now I've been to Hell and back, but I see someone beat me to it. :-)

Thanks for the fun tour and history lesson on Hell.

PAT said...

Fun house tour, Bella!

Vee ~ A Haven for Vee said...

Fun tour of a town with a sense of humor. Wouldn't want to spend much time there, though. :D

B Boys Mom said...

Very interesting, I live in Howell, MI and have been to Hell many times. I had know idea how it was named. You didn't mention that a lot of people mail their income tax returns from Hell.

KVC said...

Great post!! Thanks for the laugh! I can say I learned something today and may win a trivia contest someday as a result. KV

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Well, I've been to Hell and back, and enjoyed every minute of it! ;-)

Your post is GREAT -- and hysterical!! "It's a gorgeous place, no matter what the hell they call it." "My first impression of Hell was, 'Wow, it's GORGEOUS here!'" LOL!!

I would love to have a tee-shirt from that store!! I think I may go to Hell to make that happen. ;-)

- Laura

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

Hi Bella~
You are so funny! I so much enjoyed your tour of..you know where! :) I just love your blog! :) I hope you are having a great weekend!

A. said...

There's another place called Hell in Norway. They make the most of it there too :) See A Postcard a Day

Couture de Papier said...

Any suggestions for dark wood paneling..I cannot paint I am a renter?

Beth said...

It is very beautiful around Hell. here is my post about a recent trip to Hell.

http://teaandthee.blogspot.com/2008/09/meeting-survivor.html

Ann said...

Hell Michigan sounds like an interesting place....

Pacentro Italy is basically in central Italy, in the region of Abruzzo. I live in northern Italy, in Lombardy region, very close to Milan yet at the same time live relatively close to Switzerland.

Torie Chipman said...

Too funny! I loved my trip through Hell. Great pics and great describtion! Thanks!!!

metrogal84 said...

I've actually been to hell (Mich. that is)...and it's quite quaint!

GREAT, fun blog. Keep up the great work!

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Enjoyed the houses from Hell , LOL.

Barbara said...

Bella, Thanks for the tour to HELL! I don't live very far from there. I'm in Flint MI. I'll have to give it a visit someday. How hillarious was the ice on the Hell sigh!!!
Barbara

Related Posts with Thumbnails