Friday, August 1, 2008

Warm Beans With Herbed Tomatoes & Goat Cheese Recipe

I'm taking a day off from decorating angst issues, lol...and sharing a really yummy recipe with you all. We ate this last night, it is soooo good, try it! Happy Friday!-- Bella

I discovered this recipe last summer and it was a big hit with Velo & me, but the kids did not like it, of course. I buy goat cheese at Costco, but I am pretty sure you can find it in the Adult Cheese Section (XXX) (lol) at any grocery store.
--Bella


Warm Beans With Herbed Tomatoes & Goat Cheese



3 Medium Ripe Tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
1/4 cup snipped fresh oregano
2 green onions, sliced (1/4 cup) (I use chives because I grow them in my garden along with the basil and oregano)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 15 ounce can small red beans or kidney beans
1 15 ounce can great northern beans or navy beans
4 ounces semi-soft goat cheese or feta cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
Fresh basil sprigs (optional)

In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh oregano, green onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to 2 hours.

In a medium saucepan combined undrained red or kidney beans and undrained great northern or navy beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes or till heated through. Drain.

To serve, toss warm beans with tomato mixture. Sprinkle cheese over bean mixture. If desired, garnish with fresh basil. Serve warm. Makes 4 servings.

304 calories, 22 g protein, 45 g carbs, 7 g fat (4 g saturated), 13 mg cholesterol, 558 mg sodium, 796 mg potassium.

Source: Better Homes and Gardens "Vegetarian Recipes" 1993

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Shelia said...

Morning, Bella! Yum, that sounds good. I just love goat cheese! Now come on! Try a bathroom shot!
Be a sweetie even if you don't LOL
Shelia ;)

Pleasant Drive said...

Yum! Yum! Yummy!

The Pink Potpourri said...

hi! thanks for stopping by and entering on my blog to win the giveaway! i have a giveaway every weekend, so be sure to put me on your favorites and enter again next week! oh, and great story about "its a wonderful life" :)

i love your blog!

Kitty Scraps said...

Wow this sounds really yummy.

Diane@A Picture is Worth.... said...

The recipe sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing.
diane

Joy said...

Bella, I was on another blog and found kitchen picture you might be interested in because it has brick on one wall and as a blacksplash. Go here to see it-
http://absolutelybeautifulthings.blogspot.com
/2008/07/new-gambrel-images.html

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Um....YUM! For the first time I'm growing basil and it is procreating like a rabbit! So I think the "optional fresh basil sprigs" would be upgraded to "mandatory." ;-)

Deb said...

Hi Bella, I have never tried goat cheese, maybe I try it sometime. Your comment about taking pictures in the stores, I use to feel that way too. Then I thought they don't know who I am, I could be an Interior Decorator taking pictures to take back to a client. So I snap away, they can use their imaginations or maybe they don't even care. Try it, they really don't even notice it. Deb

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Oh. My. That looks heavenly...does it work for breakfast? (says she as she finishes her coffee..)

Fun blog colors!

Related Posts with Thumbnails