Thursday, July 24, 2008

Spiffed Up My Kitchen

Well, after posting pics of my kitchen online...I was down about how it looked...so yesterday I spent the day cleaning, de-cluttering and decorating my kitchen! What a difference it makes, at least to me...my main goal is to empty out those cupboards between the sink and eating area, so that I can see that I can live without them, so that we can take them babies OUT! Thanks everyone for your ideas, and keep them coming, too!

Ok, on to the PICS!

Ok, this first one is TOO funny...we bought this microwave a couple of months ago...and there was this SPOT on top that was gooky...that has bugged me for TWO MONTHS, yet, I didn't try to get it off til yesterday...once it started coming off..well, as you can see...more stuff started coming off with it...lol:



I had NO idea there was a plastic coating on the microwave! No wonder why the Tyson Chicken Patties caught on fire a few weeks ago! lol Live and learn...

Here is my refrigerator in all of its decluttered glory, I just kept 2 little art magnets that my son made at school, it's so much easier on the eyes:



Here is the top of my refrigerator, which I have NEVER decorated, NEVER..why? because I always have it cluttered to the moon with 'stuff'....no more!!! This is so pretty, I want to keep it this way!



I got this pretty bowl from a good friend..it was sitting in the same corner, with random clutter thrown in it...I cleaned it up and put it in a display rack....now the plate is happy!




This is another nook in my kitchen that had been cluttered with fruit and cookies...now I am displaying this beautiful book and some homemade pumpkin cake, too:



It's still a "Before" kitchen, but a much happier place to be, bring on the cake!

13 comments:

MERRIANNE said...

your kitchen looks wonderful! WAY TO GO!!!!

Libby said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Just visiting your's for the first time. Glad to see the progress you've made in your kitchen. We don't all have big budgets or flexible time schedules to get things done!...but it looks like you are doing great with what you have!

libby

Scooterblu's Whimsy said...

Great updating on your kitchen! Looks wonderful! Pretty funny story about your microwave! LOL!

Even though you are a "new blogger friend," I enjoy your blog so much...I have a couple of awards over for you at my place! Drop in when you can!

Hugs, Rhonda :)

Susie Harris said...

Great kitchen... Im sure proud of that fridge... nice and neat! Funny how when you do one project it makes you want to go through the whole house... I also wanted to let you know that I put the Fluer De lis in the shop if you wanted to take a peek. No worries if it's not for you, =)... have a great one! Susie h~

Shannon said...

Ok, that is hilarious about the microwave! :) I love what you did with the top of your fridge!

Shelia said...

Love what you've done with your kitchen. I think we get so used to looking at our clutter, we really don't see it! I know that's how I am. I love that gorgeous bowl and how you decorated the top of your fridge. Good job!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Joy said...

Isn't it interesting how looking at your house through a camera lens lets you see things you don't normally notice? Your new decor is a great way to start with your kitchen reno.
Okay, if you were one of my clients, and wanted my ideas on how to do a kitchen makeover without breaking the bank, these would be my suggestions:
I agree with the other ladies about taking down the wallpaper and the moulding. It's not a fun job, but it will go along way to update things. Start with that job first.
We had dividing cabinets like yours and we ripped them out. It really opened up the room and made it appear bigger and lighter. If you're going to do that, then you could also rip down the soffit above those cabinets and above your sink. I saw a kitchen that had soffits like yours and the owners simply nailed dummy cabinet fronts up there. It made the cabinets look nice and tall. Then they painted all the cabinetry the same color.
As for cabinet color, I would suggest you think beyond white or black. (Everyone seems to be stuck on those two color options.)A soft mossy green might look beautiful with your formica and would save you some money, since you won't need to replace it. And with the right color choices on your walls and cabinets, you might just end up loving your brick as it is.

Joy said...

I found another idea for your soffit. This lady put beadboard on her soffit. Check it out at: http://chriskauffman.blogspot.com
/2008/04/range-hood.html

Pleasant Drive said...

Visiting your blog for the first time, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. You have great style. I'll be back to check in on you.

Tricia Anne said...

Love the bricks! Taking down wall paper is not all bad. :o) Just take your time and keep filler on hand to spackle in areas as needed. A good sanding at the end and prime and voila ... time to paint! :o) Can not wait to see the end result!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Jennifer said...

Cute items!!

I love the clean fridge........front and top! That's my mission this week. I'll post some before and after pics. LOL

Thanks for visiting the 'ole blog home. :)

Kitty Scraps said...

Looking good! I'm a clean fridge freak myself, I can't stand a bunch of stuff on it as it's visual clutter and I have enough of that going on so I applaud you on clearing off your fridge. Well done decorating the top too, I have a silk plant, a tin, a rooster, a tin milk can and a old pottery tea pot along with some fabric on top of mine. After all once you clean the doors off of magnets you have to decorate the top! lol Can't wait to see your progress.

Mrs. Trixi said...

We have a lot in common for our kitchen redo's. I did not find Kayla's links in your comments so if you come across them, I would love to see them. I can't wait to see what you do with this kitchen.
Blessings~~

Related Posts with Thumbnails